The Children’s Hospital School fully recognises its responsibilities for child protection and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Our policy reflects current legislation, accepted best practice and complies with the following government guidance:
- Working Together to Safeguard Children (March 2015)
- Keeping Children Safe in Education (September 2016)
Parents can download the complete school Child Protection policy here.
Designated Safeguarding Leads:
Stephen Deadman (Head Teacher)
Nikki Cole (Deputy Head Teacher)
Simon Coopey (LRI Ward Leader)
Diane Davies (Assistant Head Teacher / Willow Bank Leader)
Amy Thorpe (Outreach Leader)
Rosie Denman (Ward 3 Leader)
Tracy Bowler (Curriculum Support Manager)
Stewart Scragg (Assistant SENCO / LAC)
The nominated safeguarding Governor is Shaun Whittingham (Chair of Governors).
Our policy focuses on five main elements:
- Ensuring we practice safe recruitment in checking the suitability of staff and volunteers to work with students.
- Raising awareness of child protection issues and equipping students with the skills needed to keep them safe.
- Developing and then implementing procedures for identifying and reporting cases, or suspected cases, of abuse.
- Supporting students who have been abused in accordance with his/her agreed child protection plan.
- Establishing a safe environment in which students can learn and develop.
We recognise that because of the day to day contact with students, school staff are well placed to observe the outward signs of abuse.
The school and staff will therefore:
- Establish and maintain an environment where students feel secure, are encouraged to talk, and are listened to.
- Ensure students know that there are adults in the school whom they can approach if they are worried.
- Include opportunities for students to develop the skills they need to recognise and stay safe from abuse.
- Report any inappropriate behaviour/activities to our Designated Safeguarding Leaders as detailed in this policy.
Staff in The Children’s Hospital School will follow the Leicester City Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) Child Protection Procedures in all cases of abuse or suspected abuse and have regard to the statutory obligations placed on them by Section 175 of the 2002 Education Act.